"Talking Together about Carbohydrate/Food Addiction" is a pilot trial of an ongoing series of weekly online group discussion sessions led by Helen Batty (family doctor) for a journeying towards better health with patients of the Toronto Metabolic Clinic.
The next group sessions will be on:
Monday, January 10, 2022 (6:30 pm - 8:15 pm) - Past
for any patients who has previously attended a Carbohydrate/Food Addiction group session
Monday, January 17, 2022 (6:30 pm - 8:15 pm) - Past
for patients who has never attended a Carbohydrate/Food Addiction group session
Stay tuned for more group session dates
Who is this for?
Patients interested in:
- Discussions of the issues and controversies about the addictive qualities of food particularly carbs
- Building more personal control over nutrition choices.
Details of online group sessions:
105 minutes regularly scheduled group sessions via Zoom on Monday evenings 6:30 - 8:15 PM Weekly [except holiday times, publicized in advance]
Why should I attend?
Help all of us to consider:
- The science of appetite hormones
- Role of low carb, ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting timing
- Management of hunger urges
- Practical strategies others find successful
- Available approved addiction related prescription treatments
- Experiences of patients and clinicians with such medication-pros and cons
- Other resources to explore and use including the recent book and website, “A Fork in the Road” by Dr. Jen Unwin, a clinical psychologist with an addiction focus and excellent experience conducting successful group sessions for weight loss and metabolic syndrome reversal.
How will our group function?
- Respectful sharing of ideas and concerns
- Moderated by Toronto Metabolic Clinic clinicians
- Empowerment solution based counselling in a peer support format
- This is NOT a psychoanalytic or major psychiatric treatment group
Join us for what we hope will be interesting and helpful ongoing conversations about a challenging topic !